October 15, 2005

Medicare in Conakry ? Soins medicaux a Conakry ?

(Lecteurs francophones, une version francaise apparait plus bas.)

I've been receiving emails of friends complaining that my blog is not updated often enough...

I want to apologize for that. The past week has been pretty busy with work, and I've been having trouble setting time aside to write up some updates.

Work this week has been grueling, yet, not really worthy of a blog entry. Most people would not find interest in my review of personnel management, or on the preparations of an inventory check...

So instead, let me tell you about the few activities that have occupied my free time.

Last saturday night, I had set out to have dinner with an american woman I'd met at my hotel. So I hired out a driver for the night and drove over there. She was friendly, so I thought it would be nice for a change to be with a person who was not a co-worker (understand me, I love my coworkers, it's just that it's nice to meet new people.)

So I make it to the hotel and meet up with N. Right off the bat, she asks if i would mind running a small errand with her. She wants to go buy some medecine for this woman who works at her hotel. We try to figure out the best pharmacy to go to, and by the time we made a choice, the woman in question, H, decides that she wants to go to the hospital. N tells her she'll pay for everything, and to please pick where she wants to go. With my driver, we set out for the hospital.

Electricity in Conakry is scarce, and the Ratoma Public Hospital doesn't have a generator, so the whole place was in darkness when we got there. H was set up on a bed, without a pillow or a sheet. This was a small room, and the only lighting was a candle. Her 2 little boys, which we'd picked up on the way were crying in my arms and in N's.

Fifteen minutes later, a nurse came to check up on her. H was obviously in pain, and in a very bad state of health. She was not offered a painkiller or anything else.

N was anxious of H's welfare, so she insisted that we met with the doctors. They told us a battery of tests was to be done, and that the test would be done in the morning. To N's insistance, they agreed to do the tests right away. Conforted that we had done what we could, we left the hospital and took the children home, N promising to pop in on the next day.

We then went to have pizza at a libanese restaurant we'd been to before. N was still in schock at the level of the hospital. While I was more collected, having seen similar scenes in my teenage years in Burkina, I was still worried about our protegee. The owner of the restaurant recommended a clinic and we set out to the hospital again to see if a transfer was possible.

Arrived at the hospital, everything was pitch black. At the entrance, I noticed a group of people sitting down in the darkness. I called out the name of H's daughter, who had agreed to stand guard. Instead, H was there, on her feet, and greeting us with a smile !

Apparently, she was diagnose with diabetes. She was given an insulin injection, and felt just fine. She went home the same night.

Exactly one week after these events, I went back to see N. Our protegee has not reported to work for the last week. Maybe it wasn't diabetes after all...

The Beaver
P.S. Thanks, Andrea from England, for posting on my guestmap !


J'ai reçu des email d' amis se plaignant que mon blog n'est pas mis à jour assez souvent...

Je vous presente mes excuses... . La semaine passée a été assez occupée avec le travail, et j'avais eu du mal a trouver le temps de préparer une mise à jour.

Le boulot cette semaine a été éreintant, pourtant, pas vraiment digne d'une entrée de blog. La plupart des gens ne trouveraient d'intérêt dans mon examen de gestion du personnel, ou sur les préparations d'un contrôle d'inventaire...

A la place, laissez-moi vous parler de mes temps libres. Samedi soir passé, je m'étais mis à dîner avec N, une américaine que j'ai rencontre à mon hôtel. Ainsi j'ai engagé un chauffer pour la nuit me suis rendue a son hotel. Elle était amicale, ainsi j'ai pensé que ca me changerait de mes collegues de travail (comprenez-moi, j'adore mes collègues, mais c'est bon aussi de rencontrer de nouvelles personnes.)

Donc, je me rends a cet hôtel et rencontre N. Immediatement, elle me demande si j'accepterais de faire une petite course avec elle. Elle veut aller acheter un certain medicament pour une femme qui travaille à son hôtel. Nous essayons de voir quelle serait la meilleure pharmacie ou aller, mais avant que nous ayons fait un choix, de la femme en question, H, décide qu'elle veut aller à l'hôpital. N lui indique qu'elle payera tout, et de choisir ou elle veut aller où elle veut aller. Avec mon conducteur, nous avons sommes partis pour l'hôpital.

L'électricité à Conakry est rare, et l'hôpital public de Ratoma n'a pas un générateur, ainsi tout l'endroit était dans l'obscurité quand nous y sommes arrivées. H a été installé sur un lit, sans oreiller ni drap. C'était une petite salle, et le seul éclairage était une bougie. Ses 2 petits garçons, que nous avions pris en chemin pleuraient dans des mes bras et dans ceus de N.

Quinze minutes plus tard, une infirmière est venue pour examiner H. Elle semblait souffrir, et dans un état de santé très mauvais, mais on ne lui a pas offert de quoi apaiser la douleur. N était inquiete du bien-être de H, ainsi elle a insisté pour que nous rencontrions les médecins. Ils nous ont dit qu'une batterie de tests devait être faite le lendemain matin. À l'insistance de N, ils ont accepté de faire les tests tout de suite.

Pensant que nous avions fait ce que nous pouvions, nous avons quitte l'hôpital et avons emmené les enfants chez eux, N promettant de passer le jour suivant. Nous sommes alors allés prendre une pizza à un restaurant libanais que je connaissais.

N était toujours sous le choc de l'hôpital. J'étais plus calme, après avoir vu des scènes semblables pendant mes années d'adolescence au Burkina, mais j'étais encore inquiété pour notre protegee. Le propriétaire du restaurant a recommandé une clinique et nous nous sommes rendues à l'hôpital pour à voir si un transfert était possible.

Arrivées à l'hôpital, tout était d'un noir epais. À l'entrée, j'ai noté un groupe de personnes assises dans l'obscurité. J'ai dit le nom de la fille de H, qui a avait accepte de tenir la garde. Au lieu de cela, H était là, sur ses pieds, nous saluant d'un sourire!

Apparemment, elle a ete diagnostiquee comme diabètique. On lui a fait une injection d'insuline, et elle etait comme neuve ! Elle est rentrée à la maison le même soir.

Exactement une semaine après ces événements, je suis allé de nouveau voir N. Notre protegee ne s'est pas fait presentee au travail de toute la semaine dernière. Peut-être ce n'était pas le diabète après tous...

The Beaver

P.S. Thanks, Andrea from England, for posting on my guestmap !


Salt Water said...

For once you are actually wrong. After reading the first three paragraphs of this post I can say I am definitly interested in what you do if you find a gross discrepiency. You would become the bearer of bad news? Do you have to be the tough guy? We are not going to see you listed in an UN investigation of all lost accountants are we? I sure hope not. You're fresh/friendly voice is needed in this too often nasty world. SW2 is telling me (in not so nice words) to say my time is up. I have read only the first three paragraphs of your long awaited posting. Please post some pictures when you get a chance. SW2 was standing over my shoulder and now has turned out the light. She says to tell you that she is not a (any bad word) and log off. Will be back after an evening of ass kissing. Thanks.

Liquidplastic said...

I am with Salt Water .. I want to know what you do and how you do it ... and who gets the ax!

I would also like to know what happened to H.

Beaver, your blogs is still out of whack --- the type is super large ... and it's not lined up. But I read it anyway.

I miss you .. but you know that already. So do your things and make sure to set some time aside to enjoy life. You know you need a balance!

Salt Water said...

My Lord, who did I save on the way to pizza? You are so amazing. This event reads like a prime-time TV show. Fantastic! LP is right, what about H ? My wife takes insulin twice daily. I struggle all the time with the balance of blood sugar vs insulin. If they really did give a non-diabetic insulin H could be in big trouble if not gone. My wifes shot in a normal person would be the end. Hopefully the insulin was unrefrigerated and useless anyhow. Was the pizza any good? Great story. Update this if possible, even if the news is bad. Thanks Oh Great One.