May 15, 2006

Wahoo Beach!

Beach and Mountain

Wahoo Beach, a beautiful resort on the Caribbean, just 45 minutes from Port-au-Prince, greets all visitors with an arm-band to ensure the beach remains safe of loiterers and unauthorized visitors.

Although the image one has in mind of Haiti is that of poverty, violence, and political turmoil, none of them find their way to Wahoo Beach, as the only reminder that Haiti has been on the international map is the presence of UN peace keepers playing beach volley ball on their day off.

Should Haiti stabilize under the rule of Prezidan Preval, the country could enjoy an influx of foreign spenders, intent on enjoying the many pleasures of Wahoo Beach!

4 comments:

cristina said...

it looks amazing with such a beautiful backdrop! from seing Haiti in the news and maybe one episode of Lonely Planet, i had a different idea of the country! I could see myself vacationing there :)

Saur♥Kraut said...

Fascinating! Do you have any more pics of the beach there? I'd love to see them!

juliana said...

I haven't posted it on my blog yet, but it turns out I'll be going to Mali. :) I'm so excited!

Beaver said...

Coffee, yeah, I know. It was a schock when I saw it. Although after a month of logistical difficulties, I can understand why Haiti's rep is the way it is, despite the glory of the beaches.

Saur, I posted all my Beach pics on my Flickr account. Just click on the pic to get to it.

Jules, that's great! Mali has great music and very nice people. But expect a desertic landscape and stifling heat! (Watch Sahara before you go, but only for fun. It's set in Mali, and only the landscapes are reflective of reality.) Also, get your hands on some Salif Keita music. He's the most popular malian singer. I'm so happy for you! You'll get to travel the Dogon country hopefully, and share amazing pics !