March 14, 2007

Life in the boonies

Life in the boonies is doing me good, actually. There is no internet in the office and at the hotel. Forces me to do everything in a few hours. Not a bad thing : I both work more and sleep more.

So here is the deal : I wake up at 7 am, take a hot shower (ultimate luxury here in the boonies), have breakfast (nescafe and french bread, and some mango or papaya).

At 8AM the driver picks me up in the white 4x4 5 (like in the movies) and drives me to the office where I spend the next 9 hours interviewing staff, preparing system analyses and preparing my report.

At 5PM I get kicked out of the room they assigned me because a Peace Corps volunteer uses it to teach the staff english (Mali is french speaking) and I go back to the hotel.

I hang out with the locals at the hotel for a bit, work on my laptop on the terrasse, and around 7 I walk over the cyber cafe to pîck up my email and sate my addiction a little.

Then I go back home to the hotel, order a salad, and go to bed with a book (I'm current re-reading Anne Rice's Mummy).

Then it starts all over again.

I'll be going to villages and distribution sites next week so there will be more to tell soon....

The Beaver

My guest map is wonderful ! And you'd all be wonderful to post, all of you lurk mode readers!
Thanks and may the winds of Fate blow your way !

No comments: