August 15, 2005

The world of Ice Cream consumption in Montreal

Dave and I are unconditionnal lovers of ice cream. We wanted to present you with a true guide to Montreal's ice cream, but unfortunately, LaPresse was faster and published a top 10 for Montreal's vanilla ice cream makers.

I don't like vanilla ice cream, but, never the less, I will comment.

1 - MEU-MEU, 4458, rue Saint-Denis; (514) 288-5889.
My comment : Meu Meu rules ! I really like that little ice-cream place. Their shop is very unassuming, and they always come up with funky, interesting flavors.

2 - HAVRE-AUX-GLACES, 7070, Henri-Julien, marché Jean-Talon; (514) 278-8696.
My comment : I'm not familiar with their products, I'll have to try them. The fact that they are located in Marche Jean-Talon does create positive prejudice.

3- HÄAGEN-DAZS, oui!
My comment : I always liked HÄAGEN-DAZS, but I'm surprised that they make it before non-industrial ice-cream makers. Good for them, I guess.

4 - RIPPLES, 3880, boulevard Saint-Laurent; (514) 842-1697.
My comment : I'm not familiar with their products, I'll have to try them.

5- Le Bilboquet, 1311, avenue Bernard Ouest; (514) 276-0414.
My comment : I'm actually quite pleased that Bilboquet is so far behind. Though in Montreal they are considered iconic, I've come to avoid going to their boutique mostly because waiting 45 minutes to have an ice cream cone will ruin my fun. And for sorbet, I definitely prefer Meu Meu.

For true lovers of Bilboquet Ice Cream, we found a place on the South Shore where you can enjoy the cold creamy tasty stuff without having to deal with the line up and with the added benefit of visiting Old Longueuil, which can be quite charming. (Longueuil Ice Cream Parlor, 39 rue Saint-Charles Ouest).

6- Les Petits Plaisirs d'Andrea, 5235, boulevard Saint-Laurent; (514) 495-3999.
My comment : I'm not familiar with their products, I'll have to try them.

7- Pile ou glace, 7084, boulevard Saint-Laurent; (514) 273-3999.
My comment : I'm not familiar with their products, I'll have to try them.

8- Roberto, 2227, rue Bélanger Est; (514) 374-5653.
My comment : I heard great things about this ice-cream maker, I'll have to try his stuff.

9- Breyers à la vanille naturelle.
My comment : Horror ! *shudders*

Overall, I'm surprised that Ben&Jerry's did not make it in the top 10. My second personnal fave for Ice cream is "Les Delices de l'Erable" (Maple Delicacies) and I can't believe their wonderful, delicate, tasty, maple based gelato didn't make it in the score. Oh well, I'll have to write my own survey on ice cream, based on pistachio this time.

On on !

The Beaver

1 comment:

Linda Jones Malonson said...

What! No Black Walnut ice cream? How dare they forget to list Black Walnut! LOL ... I like vanilla, but I love Black Walnut. These days only us old folks eat it. Needless to say I love ice cream too!